Friday, February 11, 2011

Savasana

I would just like to say, I'm LOVING yoga.
Its the one time that I can completely empty my mind, be calm and content. Sure, last class I landed on my face while attempting the "Crow" pose...
I'm begining to understand that yoga is much like life - we can push through the tight muscles by taking a deep breath, pushing through the obstacles by changing our focus.
Instead of focusing on the pulsing tight muscle - I focus on my breath, the way my foot sole pushes into the matt.
Instead of focusing rollercoaster of life, the sometimes painful struggle - I will choose to focus on the strength I do have, and the blessings before me. Sure, sometimes in the midst of it, I might fall on my face - but I have a choice. I can stay there, face planted into the carpet, or I can stand back up and try again.
Muscles will be sore. Hearts will be discouraged, but each pose and obstacle tones and strengthens the body and mind.

I was talking to an old friend the other day, and told them that I was trying to learn to become content in life, and more balanced. They laughed and said "what, you content?"
It struck me, first as - well slightly rude. But also a little honest.
I've always had a desire to run, to be free. I've been described as a lot of things in my life.
Free sprited. Stubborn. Compassionate. Feisty. Passionate. Determined. Down to earth. Hippy.
Content isn't something I've ever been labeled.
And its really a goal I'm trying to achieve this year.
Instead of always wanting more, wanting better - I want to look at what I have and who am and say "this is alright"
To be silent, to be still - and content. To turn away from all the business and constant "going" and just be.
My mom likens me to a hamster - nice analogy right? lol I'm in this wheel, going nowhere but just running as fast as I can for the hell of it...
Sorta like Hammy off of "Over the Hedge" perhaps lol

Anyways, favorite part of yoga? Savasana. It's never long enough for me. Before it drove me crazy and I thought it was dumb - but now it is something I savor. Its so peaceful and quiet and refreshing.
My yoga instuctor always ends Savasana with this quote:


Success

To laugh often and much
to win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: